If your car is feeling a bit sluggish or you’re starting to see an increase in your gas bills, it might be time to take a look at your catalytic converter. A bad catalytic converter can result in decreased fuel efficiency and harmful emissions. In this blog post, we will talk about the symptoms of a bad catalytic converter and what you can do about it.
What Is a Catalytic Converter?
A catalytic converter is an important part of a car’s emission control system. It helps to convert harmful gases into less harmful ones before they are released into the atmosphere. A bad catalytic converter can cause these harmful gases to be released into the air, which is not good for the environment or your health.
Parts of a Catalytic Converter
There are three main parts to a catalytic converter:
- The catalyst – This is usually made of platinum or palladium and helps to convert the harmful gases into less harmful ones.
- The substrate – This is usually made of ceramic or metal and provides a surface for the catalyst to work on.
- The housing – This protects the catalyst and substrate from damage.
Recognizing a Faulty Converter
There are several symptoms that can indicate a bad catalytic converter:
- Decreased fuel efficiency: If your car is struggling to get up to speed or you’re seeing a decrease in your gas mileage, it could be due to a bad catalytic converter. This is because the converter is not able to convert the harmful gases.
- Increased emissions: A telltale sign of a bad catalytic converter is increased emissions from your car’s exhaust.
- Check engine light: If your check engine light is on, it could be due to a problem with your catalytic converter.
- Engine misfires: If your engine is misfiring, it could be caused by a clogged or damaged catalytic converter.
- Strange smells: If you notice a strange smell coming from your car’s exhaust, it could be due to a problem with the catalytic converter.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s important to take your car to a mechanic and have it checked out. A bad catalytic converter can cause damage to your engine and increase your emissions, so it’s important to take care of the problem as soon as possible.
At Master Muffler Brigham City, we can help you with all your catalytic converter needs. We offer repair and replacement services for catalytic converters. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment.