If you’re considering a muffler delete, you’ve come to the right place! Here are the pros, cons, and costs involved so you can make an informed decision.
These are just general guidelines— If you’re serious about having a muffler delete done on your vehicle, it’s best to ask a muffler expert for advice.
What in the World is a Muffler Delete?
A muffler delete is the removal of the muffler from a vehicle’s exhaust system. This leaves the car with an open pipe that connects the engine to the exhaust tip.
Muffler deletes are popular among car enthusiasts because they produce a louder engine noise. This is because the muffler’s main purpose is to reduce noise.
Some people think that muffler deletes make a car sound sportier, but this isn’t always the case. It really depends on the car and how it’s tuned. In some cases, a muffler delete can actually make a car sound less sporty.
What Are the Actual Pros?
- Muffler deletes are relatively simple and inexpensive to do.
- They can be reversed if you don’t like the results.
- Muffler deletes can increase your car’s power output by 5-10%.
- They make your car sound better (in most cases).
- You don’t have to worry about your muffler rusting out and needing to be replaced.
Okay, But What Are the Cons?
- Muffler deletes can be illegal in some states and provinces.
- They can make your car too loud for comfort (or for the law).
- Muffler deletes can decrease your car’s fuel efficiency by 2-5%.
- They can make your car sound bad (in some cases).
- Your car may not pass a vehicle inspection with a muffler delete.
So, How Much Does it Cost?
The cost of a muffler delete can vary depending on a few factors:
- The make and model of your vehicle
- Whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it for you
- The quality of the muffler delete kit (if you do it yourself)
- The cost of labor (if you’re having a pro do it like you should)
Generally speaking, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $1,000 for a muffler delete.
If you’re considering a muffler delete, we highly recommend talking to a muffler expert before making any decisions. They can help you figure out if a muffler delete is right for you and, if so, which muffler delete kit is the best for your car.
At Master Muffler Downtown Ogden, we’re muffler experts. We can help you figure out if a muffler delete is right for you and then get the job done right so there are more pros, less cons, and fewer costs down the road.