Brake rotors are an essential part of your brake system! If they are not working properly, they can cause damage to your car and increase the risk of an accident. What are they, though, and how can you ensure they are in working order? Here’s everything you need to know about brake rotors so you can stay safe out on the road.
What Are Brake Rotors?
Brake rotors are metal discs that sit behind your wheels. When you press the brake pedal, they work with your brake pads to slow or stop your car.
How Do They Work?
Brake rotors work by using friction to slow or stop your vehicle. When you press the brake pedal, brake pads clamp down on the brake rotors. This creates friction between the brake pads and the brake rotors, which causes the wheels to slow down or stop.
Why Do They Fail?
Brake rotors can fail for a number of reasons. Some common causes of brake rotor failure include:
- Wearing down over time: Brake pads and brake rotors will wear down over time with normal use. However, if brake pads are not replaced when they should be, it can cause brake rotors to wear down faster than they typically would.
- Hitting a pothole or curb: Brake rotors can become damaged if you hit a pothole or curb too hard, cracking or breaking.
- Corrosion: Brake rotors can corrode over time, especially if they are not properly maintained.
When Is It Time For Repairs?
If you think your brake rotors may be failing, it is important to stop driving and take them in for repairs. Some signs that your brake rotors may need to be repaired or replaced include:
- Vibrating when you brake: If your brake pedal vibrates when you press on it, it could be a sign that your brake rotors are warped.
- Squealing or screeching noise: If you hear a squealing or screeching noise when you brake, it could be a sign that your brake pads are worn out and need to be replaced. However, it could also be a sign that your brake rotors are damaged and need to be repaired.
- Grinding noise: If you hear a grinding noise when you brake, it is a sign that your brake rotors are damaged and need expert care as soon as possible.
If you notice any of these signs, it is time to visit a trusted auto repair shop. Depending on the severity of the damage, brake rotors can usually be repaired. However, in some cases, they may need to be replaced.
Where Can I Find a Brake Repair Expert?
If your brake rotors are calling for attention near Salt Lake City, take your car into Master Muffler Kearns. We specialize in brake repairs and replacements and can get you back out on the road driving safely and comfortably in no time.
Who Is Master Muffler Kearns?
We are your Utah auto repair experts, a team of experienced mechanics who are here to help you stay safe out on the road while saving money in the process.
We always take excellent care of our customers and their vehicles and our current ownership has been offering brake repair services since 2006. If your brake rotors are damaged, bring them in so we can diagnose the problem and get you back to braking smoothly and safely as soon as possible.